School Alumni Associations
IU Herron School of Art and Design Alumni Association
Each month we will feature a current member of the Herron Alumni Association. Check back frequently to see who we feature. We are currently presenting members of the Herron Alumni Association’s Board of Directors. Interested in being featured here? Contact us a HerronAA@iupui.edu.
Duane L. King
- Class of 1983
- Position on the Herron Alumni Association’s Board of Directors:
F.C. Tucker Company, Inc.
Drawing, Sculpting, Bicycling, and Basketball
- Awards and Affiliations
Southport Artistry Committee, Southside Art League, Indianapolis Arts Center, Hoosier Salon, Indiana Plein Air Painters Association.
- Why did you choose Herron?
I grew up taking Saturday classes at Herron and I seemed to be destined to go there.
- Favorite Memories of Herron
Spending time on the 16th Street Campus with friends and fellow students. Being instructed by masters such as Harry Davis and Robert Weaver.
- Advice to Undergraduates
Work hard and enjoy you time as a student.
2013 Herron Alumni Show
New this year, The Herron Alumni Show, 2013 will be a curated exhibit. We are pleased to have as our co-curators, Paula Katz, Director and Curator of the Herron Galleries, and Phil O'Malley, class of 2007. Hoping to better showcase the alumni and their work, these co-curators will select artists from the submissions, contact the selected artists, and then build our exhibit from the selected artists’ work. All Herron Alumni should feel encouraged to participate with submissions. To regiester please visit http://iuaa.imodules.com/herronshow.
Our previous exhibits have been juried exhibits. For a quick refresher about the difference between a juried exhibit and a curated exhibit, here’s a link for your convenience. http://askharriete.typepad.com/ask_harriete/2011/10/how-is-curated-different-from-juried-.html
Entry Fee: FREE for Members of the Herron Alumni Association and $10 for non-members
- Entries can be for sale, but it is not required. The Alumni Association will retain 25% of all funds received from sales.
- Original artwork must have been completed in the past 2 years.
- Copies of paintings or published photographs are not eligible, only original artwork is accepted.
- Works executed in class or under supervision of an instructor are ineligible, with the exception of work created in a “Senior Studio” where the artwork was independently produced
2013 Herron Alumni Show Calendar
May 2013 Email and web promotion to alumni calling for entries
June 14 All digital images with criteria must be received via the online registration form
June 17-21 Images reviewed by curators
June 24 Alumni notified regarding their entries
July 29-30 Artwork should be received for hanging/display
Between 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. ONLY at the Main Gallery in Eskenazi Hall.
Shipped artwork must be in a reusable container NO PEANUTS PLEASE! Please include a return shipping label with postage. Unsold artwork will be shipped back to you.
Herron School of Art and Design
735 W. New York St.
Indianapolis, IN 46202
August 2-23 Herron Alumni Show 2013
Marsh Gallery – Eskenazi Hall
August 23 Closing Reception – Time TBA
August 26-27 Artwork should be picked up between 10:00 – 5:00 p.m. from the Main Gallery
Share Your News With Us
Keep us in the know about what you’re up to! We—and your classmates—want to hear about achievements and milestones in your career, your family, and your personal and community pursuits.
Submit a class note for possible publication in Herron communications.
The best part of graduation? Joining the HERRON alumni community for free.
Congratulations on completing your degree—but the best is yet to come! The Herron Alumni Association is your lifetime connection to Herron. And your first year of membership is free after each IU degree you earn. It’s on us, and it’s our way of saying, “Welcome to the family.”
With your IUAA membership, you can:
- Access exclusive career opportunities and coaching through IUAA Alumni Career Services
- Search the Alumni Directory for IU alums in your town, your industry, or your employer (if you graduated less than three months ago, request access here)
- Find an instant community of friends wherever you go through your local IUAA chapter
- Stay involved with IU
- Read the Indiana University Alumni Magazine online
The Classes of 2012 and 2013 are eligible to sign up online. Try out these benefits—and many more—during your first, free year of membership
The Herron School of Art Alumni Association is hard at work creating and implementing many alumni activities. These efforts will lead to stronger ties between the alumni, students, and faculty at Herron. Are you interested in serving on the Herron Alumni Association’s Board of Directors? If so, please click here to fill out an interest form. Know someone who would be a good board member? Click here to nominate someone for the board.
To promote fellowship of Herron alumni.
To support the students and the school.
To preserve the unique identity of the Herron School of Art.
Alumni sponsored programs include
- Alumni Workshops
- Studio Tours
- Scholarships and awards for outstanding Herron students
- Spirit of Herron Award for an outstanding graduating senior Herron student
- Harry Davis Award for outstanding Herron faculty
- Distinguished Alumnus/Alumna Award
- Programs to enhance the link between alumni and students that will help preserve the Herron identity
- Community projects and programs that involve and promote the Herron School of Art
Herron Alumni Open Studio
Eskenazi Hall, Room 206
Tuesday and Thursday nights
7:00 -10:00 p.m.
IUPUI Office of Alumni Relations contact:
Kim Helton, (317) 274-8905 or firstname.lastname@example.org