IUPUI International Host Program
A partnership between the Office of International Affairs and the Office of Alumni Relations, the International Host Program (IHP) is designed to help integrate international students into the IUPUI and Indianapolis communities. Alumni interested in serving as hosts will provide friendship and support for international students and help instill a sense of campus pride and spirit while the students are in the United States and attending IUPUI. Hosts may offer a wide range of support activities, from mentoring students to inviting them to dinner, sports events, and events off campus. This program is an opportunity for Central Indiana alumni to contribute to a richer and more positive experience for international students attending IUPUI. It also allows area alumni to promote diversity on campus and in the greater Indianapolis community, and to be more fully engaged in the life of IUPUI. This program will kick off in October of 2013!
Photos courtesy of the Office of International Affairs
Why Become a Host?
- Benefits for Students
- Gain a support system here in the US
- Increase English language skills and intercommunication skills
- Learn about American culture while connecting to IUPUI
- Network internationally
- Benefits for Individual/Family
- Expose yourself and your family to a diverse group of cultures from around the world
- Allows for becoming more globally aware
- Build a mutually rewarding and beneficial friendship
- Experience a foreign culture while building your friendship
- What is Expected of Host
- Meet with student at least once a month
- Be a support for the students
- Invite students to family gatherings, work events (if appropriate), IUPUI athletics events, etc.
- Participate in events hosted by the Office of Alumni Relations and/or the Office of International Affairs
- What is not Expected of Host
- A live-in situation, room, or board
- Financial nor legal support
- Continual, dependent transportation
- Daily contact
- Are You Interested?
If you have any questions, please contact us at IHP@iupui.edu or call 317-274-8828.