The Neal-Marshall Alumni Chapter (Club), an affiliate of the IU Alumni Association, was originally founded in 1980 to meet the needs of Indiana University African-American alumni and to increase their participation in local and national IU alumni groups. The club received its official university charter in 1981. Today, the club's mission includes addressing the needs of African-American students, faculty, and staff, as well as promoting the awareness of the history, traditions, and legacy of African-Americans at IU. The club is named in honor of the first African-American male and female graduates of Indiana University: Marcellus Neal, BA 1895, and Frances Marshall-Eagleson, BA 1919.
In 1999, the Club's Executive Council, by unanimous consent endorsed the strategic initiatives in the "20/20: A Vision for Achieving Equity and Excellence at IU Bloomington." Nearly two decades after the Club's origin, the hopes and dreams for a system-wide attitudinal change towards African Americans were finally articulated, presented and implemented by the Indiana University administration.
Since the beginning, the Neal-Marshall Alumni Club has founded and maintained local chapters. On December 10, 2008, the Indianapolis Chapter of the Neal-Marshall Alumni Club was launched. The Indianapolis Chapter is comprised of IUPUI graduate members with degrees from Indiana University or Purdue University and others with degrees from Indiana University system schools who reside in the Indianapolis area.
The club publishes annual newsletters, awards scholarships, sponsors alumni events, reunions and meetings, and assists with student recruiting, and mentoring and supports enhancement programs. Club activities and programs are made possible by the support, encouragement, and paid-membership of African-American alumni and friends of Indiana University.